It might feel tricky asking for donations during times like these. Here are our top tips!
Show you're committed! Nothing shows commitment to the cause and challenge like donating to yourself. It's also a great way to lead by example - plus, people who donate to themselves raise twice as much as people who don't.
Make it personal
People will donate because YOU are asking them to. Simple as that. Why not:
- Tell your story on why you're riding on your online fundraising page.
- Add an email signature to your personal email account to share your page with your friends, family and personal contacts.
- Add photographs and videos of yourself to personalise the page, because people are more likely to donate to someone they can see and relate to.
Spread the Word
Log in to your fundraising account, go to 'My Fundraising', then 'Get Support'.
Select one of our email templates and send to your own email address where you can personalise, before forwarding to your contacts.
Remember - if you don’t ask, people won't know.
Did you know people who use social media raise on average twice as much as other fundraisers? Follow our steps below and you'll see firsthand!
- Share a link to your online fundraising page on all your social accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & LinkedIn).
- Ask your friends to share your online fundraising page on their Facebook.
- Upload your very own personalised profile pic and timeline image or cover picture to tell everyone about your challenge.
- Post regular status updates to communicate your personal progress to your friends and family.
- Send a personal message through social media to ask specific friends for their support - there's a good chance they would have already seen your status updates but it's nice to be personally asked!
Ask your mates to donate per KM!
Your friends could donate $1 for every kilometre you ride. So if you're riding 50km = $50.
Rip it off!
We all know that shaved legs is standard practice for cyclers – oh the lycra! Why not wax them this time and charge your loved ones to rip it off... all for a good cause.
Even if you've asked before, people get busy and simply forget. You're doing something great for yourself, and for others, so don't hesitate to follow up people, and remind them to make a donation.
An easy way to remind people is by posting updates throughout the month. Let friends and family know that their donation will not only motivate you to walk, but it's going to a great cause; helping kids facing cancer.